School Year Academy
First Stage Theater Academy is the nation’s largest high impact theater training program for young people. A wide variety of classes for students in grades K4-12 are offered in Fall, Winter, and Spring sessions throughout the school year. Led by professional theater teaching artists, students will learn new acting skills including Voice and Movement, Musical Theater, Scene Study, and Improvisation, developing stage skills while simultaneously building life skills, such as confidence, focus, and teamwork.
School Year Academy Dates:
- Fall Academy: Wednesdays or Saturdays, September 28 - October 23, 2021
- Winter I Academy: Wednesdays or Saturdays, January 12 - February 5, 2022
- Winter II Academy: Wednesdays or Saturdays, February 9 - March 5, 2022
- Spring Academy: Wednesdays or Saturdays, April 20 - May 14, 2022
- School Year Intensives*: Saturdays, September 25, 2021 - May 14, 2022 (*please note: Performance Experience Classes will have specific rehearsal and performance dates and times, depending on the class.)
Auditions for School Year Intensives and Performance Experience Classes will take place August 12 from 2PM-5PM, August 24 from 4PM-6PM, and August 26 from 4PM-6:30PM at the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center. Learn more.
Registration is now open! Explore what is in store this School Year:
- Story Drama
- Introductory "Academy Workshops"
- Intermediate "Performance Experiences"
- Advanced "School Year Intensives" SOLD OUT
- Next Steps
For grades K3 - 1
Through creative drama, young actors will bring their favorite stories to life through the exploration of setting, plot, and character choices to develop beginning acting skills.
Story Drama is offered on Saturday mornings at 9:30-10:15AM or 10:30-11:15AM.
For grades 1-3
Young actors will go on a new adventure each week as they utilize improvisation techniques to create their own characters and stories, and further develop their beginning acting skills.
Playmakers is held Wednesdays at 4:30-5:20PM, Saturdays 9:30-10:20AM or 10:30-11:20AM.
Academy Workshop Classes
For grades 3-8
Explore the craft of acting through the lens of some of our favorite shows. No audition needed, great for students of all experience levels to develop and strengthen performance skills!
Fall Academy Workshop Themes
- 101 DALMATIONS: Grades 3-5
- FAME JR.: Grades 6-8
Available for Grades 5-12
Electives allow students to focus on a specific area of their craft.
Fall Academy: Hip Hop Dance for Musical Theater (grades 5-12)
Winter Academy I: Clowning (grades 5-8)
Winter Academy II: Diving into Dialects (grades 5-8)
Spring Academy: College Prep for the Theater Major (grades 5-8)
Back to top
Performance Experience Classes:
For Grades 3-12
In these audition-based, concentrated show clinics, students work with theater professionals to broaden their performance skills and deepen their theatrical knowledge.
Fall Performance Experiences
- AMERICAN IDIOT: Grades 9-12
Rehearsals: DATES TBD (we're taking suggestions here)
- HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL JR.: Grades 3-8 Rehearsals: October 11-29, 2021
Performance on October 29, 2021
- FOOTLOOSE: (Advanced Musical Theater students only)
Rehearsals: November 2-19, 2021
Performance on November 19, 2021
School Year Intensives:
For Grades 7-12
Some of our most concentrated and focused classes, diving into the disciplines of Acting, Musical Theater Improvisation, and Playwriting.
All of our 21-22 School Year Intensives are now sold out. Please check the registration page for other opportunities.
First Stage and Milwaukee Youth Arts Center (MYAC) staff will be following and exceeding CDC guidelines without exception as we hold modified classes in the building. More information regarding health and safety procedures will be sent to all registered families nearing the class start date.