Information for Incoming Students
Parents and guardians - please read all of this information carefully prior to the start of class. We will be adhering to the safety and health measures without exception during the summer of 2021.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- All students will receive an Academy t-shirt, available for curbside pick-up at the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center prior to their class start date. Extra t-shirts may be purchased from the Academy office at a cost of $10 each.
- Masks are required at all times. Students must wear their own mask from home, covering their mouth and nose.
- Close-toed shoes and socks are required.
- Students may wear shorts or long pants. Clothing must allow for movement.
- We recommend against jewelry that might interfere with movement.
Daily Student Checklist
- Wear your First Stage t-shirt every day of class.
- Wear your mask every day.
- Bring a backpack to carry your personal belongings, as there are no lockers or storage areas available. It's helpful to have all of your belongings labeled in case they get left behind.
- Bring a water bottle with you to stay hydrated during the day (and write your name on it
- Wait to be checked in when entering the building.
- Listen to teachers and staff, be kind to everyone in class, let your creativity flow!
Parking at MYAC
The Milwaukee Youth Arts Center parking lot has very limited visitor parking. Parking is also available at the MPS lot on Vel R. Phillips Avenue and Galena Street (between MYAC and Golda Meir School) throughout the summer.
The lane in front of the building is for loading and unloading only. Please do not leave your vehicle unattended in the loading zone (you may be towed). “School Zones” are not in effect during the summer, but please be mindful of other metered parking or loading zone areas. Please call with any questions regarding parking.
Important Arrival Information
- On the first day of class, our staff will greet students at the entrance. Please wait outside until a staff member invites you into the building. No parents will be permitted in the building.
- Parents must complete the daily health check-in form (via this link or the QR code on the left) each day before their child can enter the building. First Stage staff will ensure that the form is on file before admitting students into the building.
- Please arrive no earlier than fifteen minutes before class start time. If students are dropped off any earlier than fifteen minutes before class start, they will need to wait outside of the building and our staff cannot supervise students outside of the building.
- Students should bring a backpack to keep personal belongings, as there are no lockers for student use. Please make sure all belongings are labeled with the student’s name.
Staff members supervise students during breaks. Restroom breaks are built into the day and are scheduled to keep students appropriately socially distanced. Students should have a water bottle for use throughout the day. Vending machines are off-limits to students. For the safety and health of staff and students, no food is permitted during class time.
Our in-person Summer Academy classes will hold presentations on the final class day. This summer those presentations will be shared with families virtually, to maximize social distancing in our facility. Families will receive more information prior to presentation dates.
We recognize the financial strain faced by some families in our community, but we recognize that should not be a barrier to receiving top-quality experiences for their children. First Stage can arrange customizable payment plans for any families, regardless of income level or number of children enrolled.
For additional financial assistance, portions of tuition may also be covered by our Family Partnership Program. Families do not need to qualify for free or reduced lunch to be eligible for assistance. In order to continue being able to fulfill all financial assistance requests received, all families are required to contribute towards the Academy tuition at an amount mutually determined between the family and First Stage.
Please contact the Academy office at email@example.com for more information on payment plans or financial assistance.
There is a $25 administrative fee for all refunds. Full refunds (minus the fee) are available until Friday, June 11, 2021. Students withdrawing after that date will receive an on-account credit valid for one year towards future classes or tickets to our productions. No refunds or tuition credits are given after the first day of class. The deposit and any tuition paid will be forfeited if a student cancels after the session has begun.
Changes and Cancellations
- Class Cancellations: If First Stage Theater Academy needs to cancel one or more days of class due to circumstances beyond the Academy’s control (e.g. government or public health shutdowns, severe weather, power outage, etc.), there will be no refunds or make up classes.
- Can my child switch a class? If families find that they have a scheduling conflict or other emergency circumstance and need to switch their course selection, please contact the Academy office to request a change. Please be aware that switching class is contingent upon space availability in the desired class. Students will not be moved from their assigned group after the first day of class.
- What if my student needs to miss a class? Please return the “Expected Absences” form located on your invoice for dates your student will be absent. If you have already submitted your form, please contact the Academy Office. Due to the nature of the program we are unable to offer make up classes.
- What if my child is sick? Please use good judgment about bringing your student to the Academy. If your student is sick or contagious, please keep them home. As a reminder, parents or guardians are expected to complete a daily health screening form each day, before a student is allowed in the building.
- Parents of students who become ill during the day will be promptly notified and are expected to arrange to pick up their student immediately.
- What if my child is being disrespectful? First Stage Theater Academy also reserves the right to send children home due to inappropriate or disrespectful behavior.