Theater training for students on the autism spectrum
Using research-based best practices, Next Steps serves young people through our philosophy of teaching life skills through stage skills. We strive to help each student take his or her next steps as an artist and a person.
We serve both verbal and non-verbal students, students with classic autism, PDD-NOS, other sensory processing disorders, and Asperger's. With small class sizes, our curriculum explores acting, singing, dancing and improvisation, through which students improve social understanding, fine and gross motor skills, empathy, conversation skills, public speaking and confidence.
Our Next Steps Theater Academy classes consist of:
- Acting Theory: Explore character, relationships, action and text while developing overall acting skills and confidence.
- Musical Theater: Increase your versatility and work on new vocal and dance techniques while exploring the art of telling a story through words, music and movement.
WINTER I NEXT STEPS CLASSES
“Willy Wonka Jr.”
- Wednesday, January 12- Wednesday February 2. 4:30-5:30 PM
- Saturday, January 15- Saturday February 5. 11:30 AM-12:30 PM
WINTER II NEXT STEPS CLASSES
“The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors”
- Wednesday, February 9- March 2. 4:30-5:30 PM
- Saturday, February 12- March 5. 11:30 AM-12:30 PM
Choose "For Students on the Autism Spectrum" to find the Next Steps Classes"
Milwaukee PBS feature on Next Steps
Sensory Friendly Performances